First sewing project help - Tyvek patio furniture cover

Old 08-28-07, 09:06 AM
First sewing project help - Tyvek patio furniture cover

We need a patio furniture cover, I happen to have a bunch of Tyvek house wrap sitting around, and I learned that Tyvek is used for outdoor furniture covers so I thought - this will (hopefully) be an easy first sewing project for me.

However I have never made anything from scratch before, and certainly not something that needs to survive 6 months under Colorado snow. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to do the seams so they remain water resistant and don't tear? I assume I need to tape the seams. Also, what kind of needle and stitch should I use on my machine?

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-07, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator
OK, first I'll tell you I had to do a search on Tyvek, since I never heard of it before, so I'm not sure how much help I can be on this stuff. Sunbrella is usually the recommended fabric to use. Is this stuff sewable? On the search I did, it seems the covers are usually one piece so I'm not sure of the construction method they use. I would make some covered cording to put in the seams and leave a 3/4" seam allowance. The extra layers should provide protection, or make a flat felled seam, which may even be better in this case. I've never taped seams and usually tape will not stick to outdoor type of fabric so you'd need to test it first. You'll also need to use thread that's uv treated or if you don't have or can't find any, use 100% poly thread since it's stronger than cotton. I'd probably use a #16 or #18 needle but it depends on the fabric and without feeling it, I could only guess. I'd just use a straight stitch set on 3 1/2 or 4.