New Quilter

Old 10-19-07, 07:14 PM
New Quilter

Im a beginner quilter (self taught) and I am almost to the step of sewing on the batting. Any pointers? All ideas are welcome....this is my first quilt so Im interested in hearing many ways.
Thanks so much.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-07, 07:33 PM
Allow for batting to be bigger than quilt top and smaller than backing. The overlap is necessary if you have any pull or if the edge has moved. Pin the quilt together in long rows to hold it together. Then tack with colored thread so you can easily see the threads when it is time to remove them. If tacking on sewing machine or by hand, use long running basting stitch along rows of pins.

Old 10-20-07, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator
If you haven't already done so, you need to add a layer of lining, so you'll have the batting sandwiched between the fabric and lining and I would have them all the same size but add at least 10% extra to each for takeup. You can always cut off any excess but you can't add. You could just add lots of pins and remove them as you get to them or do as Twelvepole said and either baste with tack marks or use long running stitches. Another handy tool is to buy a "Quilter's basting gun" and just shoot the fasteners here and there to hold it together, then cut them out when you're finished sewing. You can get this at Joann's Fabrics or other places that sell sewing supplies.
Now you can either add a back fabric and pillowcase it or add a back fabric and quilt together and add a binding all around. They also sell special presser feet for quilting that make the job easier (if you don't have them already).

Old 12-01-07, 09:18 PM
new quilter,new ideas

Originally Posted by wenandchuck View Post
Im a beginner quilter (self taught) and I am almost to the step of sewing on the batting. Any pointers? All ideas are welcome....this is my first quilt so Im interested in hearing many ways.
Thanks so much.
the quilters gun is the way to go,but you could also use fusible fleece. I use both and am also a self taught quilter. fusible is a little more expensive,but worth it.

Old 01-21-08, 02:20 PM
I'm actually very interested in the ideas presented here as well. I've been quilting for about 5 years now and thought I knew a lot, but I have never heard of a layer of lining before. I normally only use three layers: the front of the quilt, warm and white batting, and the back fabric. What purpose does the lining have in a quilt?

Also, I have sometimes run into a problem with the front bunching up as I quilt the three layers together. I usually lay my batting out and spread the back layer across it making sure to stretch it to not cause this problem. I then flip it over and lay the front on the batting and stretch it out. I then pin my three layers together to hold them. It works for the most part, but I didn't know if there were any little hints anyone had or any new suggestions on how to do this?

Old 01-21-08, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator
Hi and welcome to the forum. If you're just sandwiching batting between two fabrics and binding it, you don't need lining. If you wanted to pillowcase the back to the front (with or without cording), much like a coverlet, then you'd need the lining in order to quilt the front to the batting. Guess it's just another way and optional.
If you're quilting the three together, wouldn't it be easier to just lay the back fabric first, put the batting on top, then the face fabric? Seems like a lot of extra work the way you're doing it. Have you tried the basting gun that missy mentioned? May save some time over pinning.
Not sure why it's bunching. Maybe try starting your stitching farther away from the edge initially or try holding the fabrics taut, in front and behind the foot, with a looser tension. You could also try using a roller or teflon foot to help it glide easier.

Old 03-24-08, 04:55 AM
RE:New quilter

I'm sure by now you've completed your work. I hope it went well.

One piece of advice that took me a while to get the hang of is to be patient and enjoy the actual quilting process. I'm very impatient and just want to see the final product! But I end up making mistakes. It's frustrating, so one of my new year's resolutions was to take my time and enjoy every little bit of it. It's taking time, but I'm making some serious progress!

Search this Thread