Fabric painting

Old 12-02-08, 04:09 PM
Fabric painting

I'm not sure if this is the right area, but I do airbrush painting on jeans...I've just started and got the fabric paint, but haven't found anything that would set the paint in, so that it won't wash out after washings.

Would scotchguard or something like that work?

THANK YOU!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-08, 05:07 PM
Do you heat set the paint with iron after airbrushing? This is what some folks do. You need to do some research. There are many airbrush painters on fabric out there. Many post their successful techniques on line. Do a Google search.

Here's a start:

airbrush paint

There are many airbrush paints available, as well as different paints for different fabrics. Success depends upon fabric and paint choice. More absorptive fabrics and paints that involve the use of a fixative tend to produce more successful results. Matisse Derivan -Techniques for Fabric Painting

With some research, you will likely find the keys to most successful results. In some areas there are paint brush artists that offer classes. You could check online to see if there is an artist that offers such classes near you.

Old 12-02-08, 06:47 PM
Super Moderator
I don't think there's anything. Scotchguard or any other finish or protector is meant for dry cleanable fabric only, since the finish will come off once it's washed. Maybe a light coat of clear poly latex will work since latex won't wash off.
Fabric paints will hold up for a while on their own, but will eventually fade from washing.