Stiffening Fabric Crafts

Old 03-09-09, 06:45 PM
Stiffening Fabric Crafts

I have crocheted a large basket with fabric. I now need to stiffen it so it will hold the shape. I have read about all sorts of stiffening agents and am not sure what to use. This basket has sides that are 14 inches high and is heavy. This will be used to store my 2 year old granddaughter's stuffed animals. Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-09, 10:15 AM
With the age of your granddaughte something flexible in case she fell on it would be best perhaps card stock glued to the fabric. To be a bit more durable, some thin PVC sheeting could be used or some thin styrofoam. Boning would be another way.

Old 03-10-09, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator
Hi and welcome to the forum! I'm not 100% clear on what you used or how, but I'm thinking of how they stiffen handmade tote bags. Can you use a heavy, fusible interfacing/stabilizer like Timtex? I'm not sure exactly how you made this, so you might want to line it with a pretty colored lining, and you can use the Timtex (or another brand, not sure if they still have Timtex) in between the two.
Here's a couple of sources so you can see what I'm talking about. You should be able to buy this at a Joann's or Hancock's, too.

Peltex at Fabric.com

Large variety, any should work

Search this Thread