bobbin knotting

Old 01-28-10, 02:20 PM
bobbin knotting

I have a Kenmore 158.17800 machine. I thread the neadle and bobbin per directions and when I start to sew the thread knots up next to the bobbin case. I can't figure out why.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-10, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator
Hi and welcome to the forum! I don't really know why, but is this a new machine or have you had it and it worked fine before and just started doing this?
Did you pull enough thread out before you start to sew?
Is the needle inserted correctly? Have you tried changing the needle? If it's a new machine, is it threaded correctly? Is the bobbin inserted correctly? Are you pulling the thread up before you start to sew?

Old 01-29-10, 05:38 AM
Group Moderator
I have had some troubles with my monster commercial machine when using extremely heavy thread. Sometimes the twist in the thread can make it want to knot and catch if tension is not kept on it at all times. It appears to be a problem with the thread from the spool so I usually just pull out (throw away) that section of thread, usually 3-5 feet, and that takes care of it. This problem has only appeared with heavy thread, probably too heavy for your machine.

I've also had a lot of problems when sewing and after sewing adhesive backed Velcro. The heavy duty Velcro has a very gooey, sticky adhesive that transfers to the needle and then down into the bobbin area of the machine. I get knots on the bottom side of the fabric and around the bobbin. The knots are not inside the bobbin but are wrapped up around the outside. A thorough cleaning with solven to remove the adhesive is the only cure.

Old 01-29-10, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator
I didn't know you sewed PD!
I never sew through adhesive for that reason. Why are you not using non-sticky back velcro?

Old 01-29-10, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
Yes, I sew. It's a bit odd. My wife asks me to hem this or can you put a button here... I have a traditional home type sewing machine for light stuff like clothing and I have a Union Special commercial machine. Our town is very big in parachutes, harnesses and other "special" military sewing and there used to be several factories turning out bed linens that have closed so commercial machines are plentiful and inexpensive. The Union Special has a large motor that runs continuously and you engage a clutch to sew. This allows it to have full power even at slow speeds so it is very good at sewing your fingers together or several layers of heavy lether or heavy nylon straping and webbing. Another nice feature that most of the controls are foot operated so you have both hands free to handle the work.

As for the adhesive backed Velcro it was the only way I was able to get the structurally rated velcro. It's nice because it stays in place on it's own when doing a complex assembly but that adhesive backing can be a pain sometimes.

Search this Thread