cross stitch help

Old 09-06-10, 07:50 PM
cross stitch help

Has anyone else ever miscalculated and not started a cross stitch project with enough fabric? I have heard that fabric can be added to a project already underway; that it is not easy, but can be done. Does anyone know how to do this? By the way, I HAVE learned my lesson and will no longer try to pinch pennies this way in the future!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-10, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Hi and welcome to the forum! I only dabbled with cross stitch a long time ago, and that was with a kit, so I'm not familiar enough with what you're doing.
Are you making a large wallhanging? Is it a solid or a patterned fabric? If it's patterned, you could pattern match it, just like in drapery work.
If it's solid, you could add a banding all the way around, to sort of frame it. Or you could add the same fabric all the way around (or just sides or top and bottom) depending where you're short, and add a microcord, which is a very small cording, between the fabrics. This way, it looks intentional. Of course, it depends on what you're making or if this will fit in with the look after it's done. Guess it would help to see pics.
If none of the suggestions work, sometimes it's best to just start over and consider it a lesson learned.

Old 09-08-10, 06:05 PM
Thanks, Shadeladie! It had not even occurred to me to include a picture. I will need to get my son's assistance and do that. Where I ran out of fabric was at the bottom of a project that is approx. 12" x 15" where there is suppose to be backstitched writing. I have never heard of microcord. Where can i find it? In the mean time, I will get to work on the photo. Thanks again for your help!

Old 09-09-10, 09:07 AM
Super Moderator
Microcord is a very small size piping that's 1/16 to 1/8" diameter.
If you can use a large spool of it, you can get it thru Atlanta Thread or I'm pretty sure Joann's Fabrics sell it in their stores where you can just buy how much you need. You could also use Roman Shade cord. This needs to be covered in fabric and when you insert it in a seam, it looks pretty and intentional.
If you did this, it would look best to add it top and bottom, so it looks balanced.

Search this Thread