What fabric can I use for baby toys and clothes?

Old 01-25-11, 12:04 PM
What fabric can I use for baby toys and clothes?

I am relatively new to sewing but I would like to try making a few small things for my daughter who is 5 months old.

What fabrics are safe to use for a baby and what should I do to prepare the fabric?

I am not so much concerned about the flame retardant issue as I am about her ingesting dye from the fabric when she sucks on it or parts of the fabric coming off in her mouth.

Thank you!!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-11, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator
Hi and welcome to the forum! I make home decor things and haven't made clothes in ages, but if you go to a fabric store, like Joann's, they'll have a section just for baby fabrics. Here's a site that has a section that you can look thru for now (or buy from): Fabric.com baby
For the most part, I would think cottons and cotton blends are always good. I would pre-wash any fabric, probably at least twice. Stick to lighter colors and you shouldn't have dye run-off problems. When you wash it, if there is excessive dye washing out, either keep washing and rinsing or toss if it's really bad.
I can't see parts of fabric coming off as long as it's sewn well and don't add any buttons, bows or appliques that could come off.

Old 01-26-11, 09:34 AM
Group Moderator
I don't sew so I don't know how available it is but microfiber is the easiest for me to clean and I have seen kids get stuff dirty over the years

Old 01-26-11, 01:52 PM
Super Moderator
Since microfiber is flammable and toxic if burning, I'm afraid I wouldn't recommend it for a baby. It's great when they're much older, but not just yet.

Old 01-27-11, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
Hadn't thought about flammability, Shadeladie is absolutely right this would be a bad choice

Old 02-10-11, 04:25 AM
I'd use a tight weave cotton or linen (pre-washed of course). Embroider eyes and mouth. DONOT use buttons,beads or ribbons for a baby. Just be sure it is machine washable. Babys love bright colours. My grandkids loved satin feeling stuff and remnants make a lot of nice toys. I would avoid "fuzzy" fabrics.
Have fun and just enjoy making them. That's the gift to yourself in making handmade gifts.