misaligned zipper

Old 03-03-11, 09:49 AM
misaligned zipper

The zipper on my jacket is messed up and I can't figure out how it got that way, how it's supposed to be, or how to fix it. I took a few pictures to help describe the problem:
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/IMG_1533.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/IMG_1537.jpg
http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/IMG_1538.jpg

As you can see, there's actually separate zipper grasps (or whatever they're called) and it looks as if the upper (smaller) grasp is misaligned or something, off several teeth of proper alignment. Like the bottom (larger) grasp needs to maybe come off all the way in order to realign the upper one. I just don't know, I can't figure it out and if somebody can tell me what's happening here and how I might fix it it would be great. Upper grasp can zip up easy, but is a hard struggle usually to zip back down. And when the upper grasp is zipped up the teeth on both side the zipper below it easily just pull apart. What the Any help appreciated. thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-11, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator
Those double zippers are a real PITA! It doesn't look misaligned. You just have to make sure the top pull is down really tight and snug on top of the bottom one. Then hold them together as best you can when you slide the metal bar thingy into them. I have the same problem with my coat that's like that and it often takes me several minutes to get it right.
Is this a new jacket? Is the zipper the same length on both sides? I can't tell from the pic how the whole zip looks.

Old 03-03-11, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Shadeladie View Post
Is this a new jacket? Is the zipper the same length on both sides?
Its not a brand new jacket but not that old and in good shape otherwise. Zipper is same length on both sides. I was able to move the upper grasp thing down close to the lower one (by pushing each individual tooth into the one on the opposite side with a small screwdriver as I moved it down) but when got this close http://i207.photobucket.com/albums/b...1/IMG_1539.jpg I have like two extra teeth on the one side, so it's not even. Seems like no matter how hard I tug on the side with the "extra" teeth and try to pull it out of the upper grasp on that side, it won't come down/off any more so I maybe could otherwise get it tight and snug on top of the bottom one as you suggested I need to do. There's no fabric or thread jammed up in any of it. The teeth of the zipper are made of hard black plastic but the grasps (labeled YKK) are of metal. Not sure what you mean by metal bar thingy.

Old 03-03-11, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator
What I mean by metal thingy is that little piece of metal under the teeth, that slides into the pull. I think that it's not sliding all the way to the bottom of the bottom pull for some reason, which is causing it to not zip right, so it looks like there's 2 extra teeth, but there really isn't.
Have you checked the bottom pull to make sure it's clear? Stick a toothpick in there and see if it moves freely.

Old 03-03-11, 12:56 PM
Actually the two long end pieces that slide into the pull are made of the hard black plastic like the teeth, not metal. I took the jacket into the place I bought it to compare the situation with a new jacket/zipper. Between myself and the sales person we were able to see that the side long end piece (on my jacket zipper) that slides into the pull on the zipper side opposite the pull(s) slides beyond the bottom pull when in fact it's supposed to stop at that point and not pull through like that. Upon quite close examination we could see the problem but couldn't see what was causing it, nothing obvious thats for sure. With enough fidgeting the salesperson was finally able to at least get it out of that stuck irregular position, loose. So now if I avoid this happening again I need to be careful when connecting to zip up that I hold the long plastic end pieces even while doing it. He contacted Carhartt (brand of jacket) and they said they'd repair/replace the zipper for free if I sent it to them. So thats cool. And so will I be without the jacket if I send it away for two weeks until I get it back. Cool as in cold. Thanks Shadie for your replies.

Search this Thread