Serger edge

Old 05-31-14, 08:47 PM
Serger edge

I have gotten so much information from this site regarding my home DIY projects, I decided to check and see if there was a sewing forum as well, happy to see there is one! I just bought a new serger after my last one finally stopped working. This new one works fine except that the overlock stitch is not even with the cut edge, it hangs over slightly, leaving a sort of ruffly edge. I guess I could live with that, but with my old one, the overlock threads were even with the edge. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong? I haven't had it very long, to play with it, but I thought it might be easier just to ask, rather than spending time trying to figure it out.
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-14, 04:49 AM
Group Moderator
You did not say what serger you have so it's hard to offer much advice. The cut position can be adjusted at least on the commercial machines common around here.

Old 06-01-14, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator
It probably just needs a tension or stitch width adjustment. I think you just need to put some scrap fabric there and keep trying different settings till you get it right.

ETA: the more I'm thinking about it, I'm pretty sure it's a tension problem. You might have to tighten one or tighten one and loosen another. Just keep playing with it till it looks right.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 06-01-14 at 06:44 AM.
Old 06-01-14, 06:30 PM
Serger edge

It's a Brother DZ 1234. I'll try playing with the tension.
Thanks!

Search this Thread