industrial

Old 08-30-14, 06:56 PM
industrial

where online is a place to find used table mounted heavy duty sewing machines.???
good commercial grade machines under 1000///

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-14, 07:43 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Best to use a search engine to find obscure items. Google "table mounted industrial sewing machines"

Old 08-30-14, 07:54 PM
Use the term power sewing machine in your Google search. Yep, an "industrial" sewing machine is properly called a power machine.

Old 08-31-14, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
Actually, I have 4 industrial sewing machines and that's what they're called. Never heard of them referred to as power sewing machines.
I've bought all mine on Ebay. Lots of machines listed there. There are two places in Philly that sell them, if it's not too far for you to drive.

Old 08-31-14, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator
Old 09-01-14, 12:40 AM
Never heard of them referred to as power sewing machines.
Maybe I'm showing my age or maybe it is a regional thing. Many decades ago I was reading the class schedule for the local community college and under vocational classes was a series called power sewing. Not having the faintest idea what that meant I started asking questions and found out it was using power sewing machines and that was what they called the machines in factories and such.

Later, I was reading the Grainger catalog and found motors for power sewing machines, three-phase motors that went on machines that had a constant running motor and a clutch.

Finally, before I posted that I did the Google Boogle with purchase power sewing machine as the search term and it returned all sewing machines from the $29 WallyWorld special to whatever. I modified the search to just power sewing machine and I got quite a few hits for "industrial" sewing machines.

Old 09-01-14, 05:30 PM
the Juki looks a bit small..but it can really take the thick stuff??? I likes some of the sailright stuff too..

Old 09-01-14, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator
No, it's not small. It's actually very large. You were not specific in what exactly you wanted or what you're going to be sewing. The middle link above, with the H, is for medium to heavy material.
Maybe you're needing a walking foot machine? They'll cost a lot more money, but the older, the cheaper.
I know a couple people that have Sailrite's and really like them, but the table mounted machines are not cheap.

ETA: What will you be sewing? There are different types of industrial machines.

Last edited by Shadeladie; 09-02-14 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-05-14, 06:17 PM
I would be sewing thicker fabric and canvas stuff. And I would like a walking foot ...they look
useful..... why are they preferred???
I think I could get a sailright for 650 with a table, maybe 700. That would be worth it if it was reliable.
I just saw this.... is this considered industrial or at least close??? what do you think of this??

http://www.amazon.com/TL-2010Q-Locks.../dp/B00AAZU1KE

Last edited by diy99999; 09-05-14 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-05-14, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator
When someone needs to sew really thick fabrics or lots of layers, walking foot machines go thru anything, and they usually have a high foot lift (1/2" to an 1").
Is the Sailrite a walking foot? Probably, and if it is, $650 or 700 is a good price (unless it's an antique, of course).
From what I've read, Sailrite's a good brand, so should be reliable.

Old 09-06-14, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
I have a basic (63400 I think) Union Special sewing machine which can usually be found for well less than $1'000. Since most were used in factories you have to pay attention to what power it uses as many have three phase motors. It will sew your fingers together if you are not careful and I've sewn through leather assemblies 1/2" thick. It's an older type where the machine is part of the table and the engine runs continuously and the foot pedal engages a clutch sort of like a stick shift car. As far as reliability it's a very basic meat and potatoes machine with no bells or whistles to break. It's just a simple (reliable) machine built like a tank.

The standard foot works well on thick materials and multiple layers basically anything slippery enough to allow the foot to slide over the material. With some "sticky" leathers and stretchable fabrics a walking foot would be better but at greater risk of catching your fingers. Mine is used mostly on heavy webbings (nylon, polyester, polypropylene) and cotton and nylon canvases and a walking foot is not needed.

Old 09-06-14, 05:49 AM
Super Moderator
I didn't see your link when I posted last night. No, that's not an industrial and it also says it's portable. Did you still want one in a table or have you changed your mind?
The link I gave you for the Juki 8700H, will be much more powerful and cheaper than the one in your link. It's new and not 3 phase.
I'm not trying to push this one on you, just saying that it's better than the one on Amazon.

There's lots of good machines out there that will do what you want however, since you seem unsure, maybe it would benefit you to find someone close to you that sells some so you can try them out first. In the meantime, I'll check a few more out later on and post them here.

Old 09-06-14, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator
OK, again I'm not pushing this machine (I don't have this particular one) but so you can see the specs for comparison purposes. It has a foot lift of a little over 1/2" (which means you can sew practically anything) and the H is for sewing medium to heavyweight like Vinyl, denim, canvas, etc.

Juki DDL-8700H Heavy Duty Industrial Single Needle Lockstitch Sewing Machine with table and motor $675

Old 09-06-14, 09:49 AM
can you put a walking foot on this?? or it doesnt need one...??
good price though... I wonder why the 2010 is so expensive??

Old 09-06-14, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator
No, it doesn't need one and you can't add it. The walking foot machine is a different animal. It's more expensive and some prefer to have this over a straight stitch (which is what the 8700 is). I have both a straight stitch and a walking foot for different things.
A walking foot can chew up regular fabrics (particularly lightweight fabrics), so if you're never going to sew anything regular, you could just have a walking foot.

The reason the 2010 is so expensive, is because it's computerized. It's not really an industrial, but has industrial features, so it's geared to the home user. It's also portable, so it doesn't come with a table. I would guess it's actually smaller than the Juki 8700. You can't tell from the pic, but the 8700 is almost 2ft long.

I have a Brother 7200H which is similar to this:
www.juki.com.pl It's a computerized straight stitch industrial.
I also have a Juki 1541S Walking foot Juki DNU-1541S Walking Foot Compound Feed Industrial Sewing Machine with safety clutch
They're both over $1,000. I included the links so you can see what each can do and compare.

Older models are just as good, but they're used and none will be computerized.

It depends if you're looking for something fancy and new or not.
Consew's and Pfaff's are also great machines. I'm not familiar with Pilot Dane's, but if he says it's good, then I'd believe him.

Old 09-08-14, 09:23 AM
the 2010 has a semi table included.... it looks to be enough of one....

Old 09-08-14, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
You seem to like it, so go for it. I'm not familiar with it, so can't say yes or no.
From what I'm reading about it, it's not as big as an industrial and even tho there's an extension table on it, it's only as big as the older home machines and the foot only lifts a 1/4". But, sounds like it can handle anything that fits under the foot, if that helps. You just need to put in a bigger needle to handle thicker stuff.

Old 09-08-14, 01:04 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogIFnI_xHBQ

this one seems to have some automation...sews like a banshee..
do the standard model 8700 come like this..??

Old 09-09-14, 08:42 AM
Super Moderator
That's similar to my Brother, that I referenced above. The 8700-7 is computerized and the standard 8700 is not, so no, it won't have that automation. It's also more around $1,500, give or take, which is why I didn't mention it earlier. But otherwise, it's the same, take away those features.

Old 09-09-14, 05:17 PM
I have seen a lot of industrial sewing machines at Government Surplus Auctions at Government Liquidation.
They sell surplus items from U.S. military bases. Most of the time they sell for pretty good prices.

Old 09-12-14, 01:24 PM
You can sometimes find good deals on craigslist. Harder to find heavy duty machines on there though...