Black Rit dye not taking completely

Old 08-14-17, 12:45 AM
Black Rit dye not taking completely

Got some bleach stains on a pair of 100% cotton black pants. They're fairly new so I thought I'd fix the issue with black Rit dye. Washed them, followed the directions to the letter. After rinsing the bleached areas came out gray, still very obviously lighter than the rest of the pants.

Any suggestions on this?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-17, 06:07 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
45 years ago, tie dyed was the style. Maybe you can bring it back. I never had any luck with dye. I tried to dye a pair of maroon sneakers black. What a disaster! Run the jeans through the process again.

Old 08-14-17, 06:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I wonder what would happen if you 'painted' just the offending portion with the dye ??

Old 08-14-17, 08:16 AM
Group Moderator
I've never had any luck with black dye turning fabric black, I always got a dark grey as well.

Old 08-14-17, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator
Yes, black doesn't dye well plus it's not colorfast. Everything you sit on will turn black.
Altho Mark's idea might work, but with fabric paint. Still, it might not match exactly. Sorry, but I think you just need to buy another pair of pants and be careful with the bleach in the future.

Old 08-14-17, 11:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I think you just need to buy another pair of pants and be careful with the bleach in the future.
Turn them into a pair of work jeans I like them when they get a little broke in

Old 08-14-17, 12:41 PM
If you have white bleach stains then before long you will have holes. The bleach actually destroys the fibers, even after the pants have been washed several times.

I used to work with industrial biocides to control biological growth in cooling towers. This stuff is like bleach on steroids. I had LOTS of religious shirts and pants. Religious in that they were holey (holy ). First comes the dead white and then the holes.