Need to repair the clasp on pants

Old 11-18-17, 10:22 PM
Need to repair the clasp on pants

The fastener (I don't know the correct term for this thing) on my pants is coming loose:

These pants still have some life in them, so I'd like to repair them. I don't even need this exact type of hardware; a hook would be sufficient. This is always covered by a belt anyways, so I don't care how it looks.

I'm quite the novice at sewing (although I do own a machine and can use it), so please give me dumbed-down instructions or point me to a good site. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-17, 02:33 AM
I fixed a pair of jeans recently.

That button/clasp is trash, it's part of a rivet set.

Need to go to a sewing store and get a metal button that looks similar, then using another plastic button on the inside.

Sew it in loose so there is approx 1/4" between the two buttons using heavy thread.

With the slack you can grip the metal button and it will have room to fit inside the button opening.

Old 11-19-17, 06:34 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What about Velcro?

Old 11-19-17, 08:55 AM
Group Moderator
You can get replacement studs. They get installed with a hammer. You would need to sew a piece of material behind the old stud for the new stud to mount in. That material should be doubled for extra strength.

Old 11-25-17, 09:36 PM
I have learned that this thing is called a "tack button," aka "bachelor's button," aka "dungarees button." Knowing the right term makes searching soooo much easier!

Old 11-26-17, 05:45 AM
Super Moderator
There's other terms you could use that are correct too, but bachelor's button isn't one of them.

Old 11-26-17, 12:16 PM
Super Moderator
They are indeed called that on a few listings on Amazon, but those seem to be specifically for suspenders? Joann's calls them that as well as jeans button and no sew button. I'd call them rivet buttons if it were me. But then, I didn't invent them, sooooo.....