Thickness sewing

Old 03-21-20, 12:48 PM
Received 32 Votes on 26 Posts
Thickness sewing

My wife is making face masks for friends and family with instructions she got from a hospital website. It's a stress reliever for her.

Sewing the pleats at the ends of the mask is a problem. Her sewing machine (Kenmore 10) is having trouble handling the 8 ply thickness (hemmed ends that are overlapped.) She has tried stitching along and across (see photo) with little success. Are there any adjustments she can make on the machine to overcome this problem. Can the presser foot be adjusted up or the part below be adjusted down to accommodate the thickness?

The alternative is to sew the ends by hand which she does not have the strength to do and I, frankly, don't want to do. Help! Thanks. (Shadeladie are you out there?)

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-20, 01:23 PM
Super Moderator
Received 80 Votes on 61 Posts
Yep, I'm here. Nice thing she's doing!

Tell her to get some scrap fabric and fold it over a few times so it's even with the pleat height and sew it to make a little band. 4" long is enough or more. Now when she gets up to a pleat, stop and lift up the back of the presser foot and slide the band under it till it hits the needle. Now the foot will be even and lifted up, so it'll go over the pleats nicely. I'd use a #14 or even #16 size needle.

2john02458 voted this post useful.