What's a solid basic sewing machine new or used?

Old 12-16-20, 09:43 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What's a solid basic sewing machine new or used?

I find there are times when it would be useful to have a sewing machine. What's a solid, basic unit that's currently made or a fabled "they don't make 'em like that anymore" unit I can look for used?

On the flip side what are some units/brands you think are to be avoided no matter how much of a discount you get it for?

Thanks!

Old 12-17-20, 05:54 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
I have a mechanical Janome that I really like. I think it's an HD1000. It's sort of a higher end, basic machine with a metal frame. It's metal parts allow it to handle multiple layers of thick fabric without getting out of time and it's just plain reliable.

I have not had good luck with inexpensive computerized machines or inexpensive plastic machines. They work OK on lighter fabrics but don't seem to hold up well over time.

As for used machines I would ask a sewing machine repair shop if you have one in your town. When they existed they used to be a great resource for advice and good, used machines. This brings up a second point. There aren't many sewing machine repair shops anymore. If it's not working you may be out of luck. So in that sense low-mid level machines have become almost disposable.

Old 12-17-20, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator
Received 141 Votes on 110 Posts
The old all metal or mostly metal machines are always good. The Singer early 500 Rocketeers and the 600, 601, 603 and 626 Touch and Sews are all good. Pfaff's are also good, particularly the 1222 and 1229, but pricey.
I use mostly industrial's but have a Singer 626 and a Pfaff 1222. Ebay can overcharge for old machines but if you have any thrift stores around, you can often find old machines there for cheap.
If you must go with a new machine, from what I've read and not experience, I think a Brother is the one to get.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: