wood over concrete? possible??

Old 08-04-02, 02:10 PM
Renee1224
Visiting Guest
wood over concrete? possible??

We are looking at a project that would convert an older, two story garage sized 18 X 26 into a guest house. The main floor would be sitting area with wood stove, small 3/4 bath and a little kitchen area. The current floor in cement and we would like to use hardwood. What do I have to do to prepare the surface for the wood flooring? Thanks for any suggestions. I'm new here and don't really know where to start. I appreciate any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-02, 03:37 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Renee:

Try this link for some ideas....

www.floridawoodfloors.net/nail.htm

There are other options such as floating engineered floors and glue down types. You could check out www.ifloor.com for some specifications as well. However, some applications should only be considered by a reputable hardwood flooring installer.

Another great site would be www.nofma.org.

Good Luck

Old 08-10-02, 07:16 PM
ostuni
Visiting Guest
as long as the floor is level, in good shape, and free of moisture, you have lots of options..

i recently put a nice harris-tarkett wood floor in my mb on a concrete slab...

i pulled up the carpet, swept the floor well, and did a floating installation, which is probably the most idiot-friendly method...

first used an underlayment that had a thin plastic moisture barrier bonded to a foam layer, which is more convenient than putting down two separate layers

these boards (prefinished oak wheat) were 7.5 inches wide, about 3.5 feet long, and glued together tongue and groove...

larger boards mean you handle fewer pieces which means you take less time to do the job...

you don't nail or glue the boards down, you just glue them together and lay your rows (making cuts around door frames, etc. is maybe the toughest part)...

get good knee pads... (come to think, i was wishing i'd borrowed some athletic elbow pads, too, the kind football players use..)

is there baseboard already installed? if so, you can leave it as is and just put down shoe molding when your floor is in...

buy way more materials than you think you'll need - it's easier to return unused product at your convenience than go back to the home store when you run short...

hth, and good luck!

Last edited by ostuni; 08-10-02 at 07:35 PM.