Staining new pine flooring

Old 08-07-02, 07:15 PM
Berry Mutton
Visiting Guest
Staining new pine flooring

I have just laid a white pine floor and have sanded it. I am ready to stain. Should I use a wood conditioner before I stain? (Minwax, Colonial Maple). I have used wood conditioner before (but not on floors) and it didn't seem to make any difference. Any suggestions as to how I can make this a perfect job? I have gone to a lot of trouble putting in inlays and it looks beautiful. I don't want to screw it all up with a lousy stain job. I am going to polyurethane it after that. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Berry

Sponsored Links
Old 08-07-02, 11:33 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
White Pine?

Berry:

I'd be careful with staining any pine floors as they don't "take" very well. Hopefully someone else can help with their experiences.

Old 08-08-02, 04:03 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
staining pine

It has been my experience with staining pine to use several thin coats to achieve the right color desired. Apply with a foam applicator and wipe before the stain gets tacky wait overnight and apply again. Wear clothes that will be tossed out when doing the process very messy. wait at least 2 days before appling poly depending on humidity. you can also try www.finishingwoodfloors.com for more info.