Stain/Sealer won't dry

Old 08-11-02, 06:50 AM
domperignon
Visiting Guest
Stain/Sealer won't dry

I had a 15yr old can of DuraSeal Natural Stain/sealer that seemed okay when I shook it and used on my oak floor after sanding out some pet spots. Per instructions, left on for 15 minutes and wiped off excess. Stain seemed okay with no globs or uneveness out of can. 24 hours later it's still sticky even after going over it with #2 steel wool. We did have 98% humidity all day yesterday and used the attic fan to pull air across floor. Should I wait it out or go over it with some kind of solvent like mineral spirits or alcohol? Original floor is stained, sealed, waxed, no polyurethane.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-02, 10:09 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stain/sealer won't dry

A 98% humidity level is not good for hardwood flooring. Temperature and humidity should be at occupancy levels. Doors and windows should be closed and HVAC system running to control temperature and humidity.

Temperature and humidity also affect drying times of stains and finishes on wood. If previous floor finish was waxed, then it is possible that the floor is contaminated. A contaminated surface can also affect the adhesion and performance of stains and finishes.

Check the label on the can of stain. Typically, you are instructed to store in tightly sealed containers and to avoid freezing. Repeated freezing and thawing may greatly affect viscosity and usability. Depending on the manufacturer, shelf life may be 6-12 months if kept sealed and stored as instructed. Old stain may have a higher viscosity and affect its usability. Contaminated stain can affect its ability to properly perform.

Technical Manual for National Oak Flooring Manufacturer's Association:

http://www.finishingwoodfloors.com/