carpet to hardwood floor

Old 08-27-02, 06:48 PM
doghouse
Visiting Guest
Question carpet to hardwood floor

I plan to pull up the carpet in a few small rooms and hope to at least have the look of hardwood flooring. Please give me any advice on any part of this process! Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-02, 07:28 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Carpet removal

What type of floor you find beneath the carpet will determine the steps you take.

Old 08-30-02, 03:53 PM
doghouse
Visiting Guest
carpet to wood

Hello twelvepole,
I have cement below the carpet, and of course the obligatory wooden tacking strips along the edges. I am not quite ready to replace, but getting there! Thank you for any tips...new home owner here.
Lulu

Old 09-03-02, 07:55 AM
ostuni
Visiting Guest
tips: cutting the carpet into manageable pieces makes it easier to dispose of... use 50 gal. plastic trash bags for the foam... use a small crowbar to pop up the carpet strips, and break them into pieces that can go in the same bags as the foam...

sweep and clean the floor well....

if doing a floating install over concrete, using underlayment that has the foam underlayment bonded to a thin plastic moisture barrier makes less work of that process (as opposed to laying down two separate layers...

plan on the job taking a lot longer than you think! and buy plenty of materials - it's easier to return unused than to scramble for more at the last minute....

hth!