Wood Floor Dilemma

Old 08-28-02, 10:33 AM
troedel
Visiting Guest
Wood Floor Dilemma

Last year while renovating the entire house, we put down a linoleum floor in the kitchen. To make the linoleum floor flush with the adjacent floors, I used 5/8 plywood as a subfloor. To make putting the subfloor down easier, I put it down before I put the kitchen cabinets in. So, the cabinets are on top of the plywood floor. Now, only a year later, we are going to replace the linoleum with a hardwood floor. I want this new floor to be flush as well so I will have to remove the plywood subfloor. The problem is, the cabinets are on top of the plywood. I am not goint to remove all the cabinets (not an option) so I have to somehow cut the plywood around them. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to cut close to the cabinets in a situation like this? Is there some type of tool that can cut wood which can get very close to an edge? I don't think a circular saw will work because of the guard on it. The only way I can see is to chisel it out, but I will probably break my back. Any ideas?

Old 08-28-02, 07:22 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Old 08-28-02, 11:19 PM
jwt253
Visiting Guest
See if your local tool rental store has a Crain "toekick" saw you can rent.

Good Luck,
Jerry T

Old 09-02-02, 06:35 PM
Berry Mutton
Visiting Guest
A border?

Hello;

Would an option be to cut out and remove the old subfloor within a (say) 8" border around the room. The old tiles could be replaced with others - maybe black - and that would form a border around your wood insert. If the replacement tiles are 1/8" it would end up being flush with your 3/4" wood insert. Problems could be that you will have to cut your last board to fit along its long side. A table saw would do the trick. And another problem would be the sanding of the wood with the tile in place. You would have to do the edges by hand so as not to remove too much wood. A random orbital sander would do it.

Good luck

Berry

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: