is this a good estimate.....HELP

Old 08-30-02, 09:38 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is this a good estimate.....HELP

Hi everyone. I am brand new to this forum and in 2 weeks, a first time home owner. upon the house inspection we have discovered that there is hardwood under neath the carpets. actually we lifted the corner of one carpet and discovered a carpet underneath that one!! underneath the second carpet is hardwood so we were of course thrilled by that discovery. we have not seen the condition of the floors yet because we we havent moved in yet. is the fact that carpets have been on the floors for probably quite a while a good thing? the house was built in 63'. i am not the handiest person in the world (quick learner though) so i want to have someone refinish the floors for me. the dining room is 10x12, the den is 11x 13, and a section at the foot of the steps (in between the rooms) would have to be done too. it is a very small section, kind of like a u-shaped hallway. a friend of mine who used to refinish wood floors professionaly said he would do them. he does not have the equipment so i would rent everything and purchase the poly and he would do the work. he said that for everything, equipment included, it will cost about 500$. that was figuring on the high side he said. does this seem like a good price? i know a lot depends on the condition on the floor but any tidbits of info would be great. also, is there a huge difference between oil and water based poly other that drying time? thanks a lot i apologize for the length of the post.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-02, 12:24 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Provided that your floors are in good shape, maybe you won't have to refinish after all. Back in the 60's and 70's, wall-to-wall carpeting was the rage, and many perfect HW floors were covered.

I would not assume that your floors need to be totally re-done, but after you remove the carpet you can decide.

I think $500 is very good. Rounding up to 300 square feet, it would cost about $1200 for like material(pre-finished), installation not included. $500 is about .60 per foot. Call around and ask what the pros charge.

The job is not that brain surgery, but you need the proper equipment to do a good job. The pros generally have top equipment, better than you can rent.

Be prepared to vacate the house if oil based finished is selected, so bear that in mind. You may want to do this before you move in.

Good luck.

Old 08-30-02, 02:06 PM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
estimate

generally speeking if the floor is in good shape and just needs a screen and recoat you would expect to pay 60 - 90 cents/ square foot. For a sand and coat refinish you could be looking anywhere from $1.50 - $3.25 / sqft. Call three pros throw out the low guy and ask for references from the other two.

Phil

www.locyshardwoodfloors.com