Pneumatic nailers

Old 08-30-02, 03:53 PM
nodan
Visiting Guest
Pneumatic nailers

I've recently purchased 1000 sf of 9/16" T & G engineered hardwood flooring. The only pneumatic nailers that i can find in town to rent are for 3/4" floors...can I use this one?

The only difference that I can think of between the two is the height of the plate from the wood strip.

Anyone have experience using 3/4" nailer with 9/16" wood?

Old 08-30-02, 04:34 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Nodan:

There should be a plate that can be attached to the bottom so that you can nail the thinner material proper. There may be a chance one is not available for that particular nailer, and/or the rental place lost it?

Whoaa, wait a minute! Engineered? Quite honestly I've never stapled or nailed a 9/16" engineered. I'd be careful so as not to damage the tongue or creating more problems than it's worth. What does the hardwood manufacturer recommend?

Ken Fisher

www.floridawoodfloors.net

Old 09-01-02, 03:42 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
nailer

Depending on the manufacturer yes you can staple or nail egineered. we installed 1200 sqft of columbia 3/8 engineered honey wheat and used the senco stapler made specifically for thinner flooring materials you can use it on flooring from 1/4in to 1/2 in. it uses 19 gage 1 in staples we were not sure about the strengh or operation of it so we did some testing with it and it worked great. One of the things i like about the gun is it will not fire if it is not on the sub floor. it is adjustable to the sub so once you get it dialed in less chance of missfire. and make sure you adjust air pressure so as not to split the tongs 4-6# depending on thickness of flooring.

Phil

www.locyshardwoodfloors.com

Old 09-01-02, 04:08 AM
H
Phil:

Would the Senco work on a 9/16" product? I have the same stapler you have, but think it wouldn't work with Longstrip type products? I'm kinda guessing the poster has that type product. I'm off to work...more bamboo to install....rest for sure tomorrrow

Ken

Old 09-01-02, 11:38 AM
G
Check your local rental centers. Bosticich makes a stapler for engineered wood floors.

Old 09-02-02, 03:45 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Talking 9/16 application

Ken,

Yes it can be used with the optional shoe plate i ordered from the senco dealer...

Phil

www.locyshardwoodfloors.com

Old 09-03-02, 09:31 AM
nodan
Visiting Guest
Hi all,

update: the nailer worked fine! I was worried that it would blow through the tongue, but I think that I had to "fix" only about 10 shots in the 600 sf. I adjusted the PSI down to 75, and it counter-sunk the cleats well.

Man does my back ache!

Thanks for the replies!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: