Laminate Flooring Questions

Old 09-01-02, 10:13 AM
Jai Mills
Visiting Guest
Cool Laminate Flooring Questions

I have two questions about Laminate Flooring that I hope you can help me with. We just had the non glue type installed in our bedroom. We are very happy with the results, but have noted several tiny spots around the plank joints where the top layer seems slighly bubbled. It this normal, or worrisome? It is not really obvious at all, and again the areas are very tiny. These seem to be areas of expecially tight fit.
My second question has to do with the suitability of laminate for areas where there might be potential spills. We are considering installing it in our hallway. However, with little children and boots, water spills are not always immeidately obvious and might not get cleaned up for an hour or more. Are puddles of this sort potentially damaging to the floor, or is there anything that can be done aside from walk-on mats that will minimize this? It seems clear that spills are not a problem, but I wonder how long an undiscovered "stnading spill" can go before it damages the floor. Thank you so much in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-02, 03:29 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
The "slight bubble" could be a defect but more likely is from escess force or miss aligned "tapping block" at installation.

The use of laminate at the entry of a home in a snow belt could be a problem, at least until the children reach about 35. A 3' square or larger area of tile is really better idea for an entry way, for a number of reasons.

Old 09-01-02, 05:46 PM
Jai Mills
Visiting Guest
Laminate Flooring Questions

Thanks for your reply! so, are the "tiny bubbles" worth calling the contractor about, (there are not many), or will they settle out on their own? Secondly, thanks for your suggestion regarding the entry way flooring. I agree that sheet vinyl would be better. Will laminate tolerate spills at all? Or, will spills damage if they are not immediately cleaned up, (within a couple of hours at the most).
I am just wondering how durable this really is. I am clear re not cleaning with anything other than a damp cloth, but feeling a bit paranoid given all the things I have read about spills and water damage.

Old 09-01-02, 09:08 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
The durability of laminate flooring is equal to other wood products. Some brands are better protected against moisture invasion than others. Prompt pick up of moisture is best.