Repair polyurethane problems

Old 09-06-02, 07:04 AM
birdsgirl
Visiting Guest
Repair polyurethane problems

We recently had the hardwoods refinished, and we've had problems with them. We think that the stain was not allowed to dry enough and also that they may not have sanded between coats. The polyurethane appears to be bubbling up along many of the wood edges (where the floorboards meet in a straight line), and there is also a some flaking and other signs that the polyurethane is not adhering well.

Without getting into a lot of details, we can't go back to the person who did the work which is what we would normally have done.

So, can we lightly sand/screen the polyurethane to get up the loose stuff as best we can and then reapply the polyurethane properly? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Old 09-06-02, 08:02 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Redo it. The spots that haven't "bubbled up" will soon.

Old 09-07-02, 09:31 AM
A
This guy has an article on how to prevent bubbling. Unfortunately he wants money for it.

Old 09-07-02, 09:59 AM
A
Old 09-08-02, 09:07 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here's a trick to eliminate possible bubbles in polyurethane.
I thin mine with 25 to 50 percent mineral spirits. It produces a thinner coating which will let the finish level out quicker before the bubbles have a chance to form. A better brushing technique also creates less bubbles in polys.

fred

Old 09-17-02, 02:31 PM
marcthornton
Visiting Guest
Birdsgirl,

You can redo the floor yourself. E-mail me direct and i will tell you how and show you how easy it is.

If you choose not to redo and want a quickfix try a medium grade steel wool to sand and get a quart of poly to refinish. Use a terry cloth towel to apply.

E-mail me if you have questions.

Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: