Differences in Laminates

Old 09-07-02, 06:46 AM
kriskirk
Visiting Guest
Question Differences in Laminates

I'm looking at what the differences are between the different types of laminates. I think I want to go with the snap kind since it seems with the little pad under it would be pretty quiet compared to the glue kind. We have hardwoods down now in the kitchen, dining room, and living room and we had termites do alittle damage in the dining room, so we thought this would be a good time to replace it. Does the thinkness of the board matter, we have a guy coming over today to access the situation and over the phone he mentioned wilsonart, but looking at the duolink it's only 7mm thick, I'd like for it to be alittle thicker, but does it really matter? Is wilsonart good stuff, how about shaw products, or mannington, or Alloc.

Thanks,

Old 09-07-02, 07:02 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Yes products made by Wilsonart is "good stuff". The "tap Loc" type is not made by Wilsonart. Shaw is also bought by Shaw from a lowest bidder and the source changes quite often. Mannington both buys and manufacturers laminate. Alloc is a laminate flooring manufacturer, one of several that are solely in the 'laminate' flooring business. Some 7mm brands are quite good and the difference in thickness will only make a difference on floors that are borderline flat. Irregular or unflat sub flooring can cause the laminate planks to "bridge" depressions or lift over high spots. When the floor flexes from lack of support all manner of issues present themselves.

Old 09-07-02, 07:45 PM
kriskirk
Visiting Guest
Well the guy showed up and basically measured all our rooms. For the kitchen and Dining room which was about 400sf with wilsonart laminate it would be almost 2300 dollars. This is installed, some trim, materials including pad. Looking on Ifloors it ran about 1 dollar cheaper than what he quoted but probably with shipping that would about equal. Does wilsonart make more than one duo-lock system? Well, you said they didn't make the tap-n-lock laminate, who makes it?
Me and the wife was thinking about scrapping the laminate idea and just putting some linoluem down in the kitchen and dining room but that appears just as costly, is this actually true?
The guy seemed pretty reasonable, as the prices for the carpeting of the other rooms were less than I thought they would be.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: