Natural Finish

Old 09-12-02, 11:22 AM
tslocum
Visiting Guest
Question Natural Finish

I'm in the process of laying Red Oak 3/4 x 2 1/4 flooring in my whole house. I've seen sime floors finished that are supposed to be Natural. The floor seems quite light w/o the poly down, but I'm wondering what options I have for very little color? Is there an oil that can be applied to bring out more natural color? I can just polyurethane it or there is a Minwax Natural stain? Either way I was intending on using a Varithane Water based finish in Satin.

I am intending to do some samples with the Natural stain and no stain. Then polyurethane it to see the difference.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Old 09-14-02, 06:05 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
red oak colors

If you would like to see the way your floor will look when it is finished you can take a cloth dampened with mineral spirits and wipe it. Polyurethane will slightly amber the oak and give it a warm golden color when finished water based on the other hand is a clear finish so the wood will remain lighter in color. Samples, samples, samples. Experiment with a few differnt finishes and stains and see what you come up with.Remember its your floor and it should look the way you want it to. Follow man instuctions with regards to application and dry times. If you decide to stain allow an extra day past what the manu. says to ensure it is dry so you will not end up with adhesion problems. Also keep in mind oil stain for poly, waterbased for water.

Philly

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: