Glue down vs floating

Old 09-18-02, 05:47 AM
drjay
Visiting Guest
Question Glue down vs floating

Just closed on new home. House has a different tile in each of the rooms. Have decided to go with engineered wood flooring. I like some products from both Bruce and Harris Tarkett.

I called a local floor store to get a quote and was told "stay away from Bruce". The store told me they do not stand behind the product. Any opinions on this.?

More to the real issue at hand. The store told me also that the tongue and groove is different for a glue down vs a floating floor. i thought T&G was T&G. They claim that if I attempt a floating application with a glue down type T&G I run the risk of breaking the tounge. On the websites for the major manufacturers they appear to give you a choice between glue down or floating for the same product. I see no mention of not floating a particular floor. BTW: Is the floating as good a method (over ceramic tile?)

I was going to lay it myself and do not want to get involved with adhesives. Must I use glue in the T&G in a floating application? I installed Pergo Presto in my current home and did NOT glue the joints so why must I use a bead of adhesive in the floating application of enginerred flooring?

Lastly, if I use an installer shouldnt it be less expensive if I go with 7 inch plank vs 3 in strip since there is less labor? I was told price per foot is same regardless??

Thank you.

Old 09-18-02, 03:20 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Glue down versus floating

Floating floors are hot! The ease of installation without the glue is of major significance to DIYers. Do not be stuck on a brand. All major manufacturers tend to produce a good, better, best line of products. Pick a manufacturer that has a large display that offers all three levels of quality and warranties. Yes, the price will go up as you go with the better quality and warranty. Compare apples to apples regarding finish and warranty.

If you are not a DIYer, then you will tend to find that installers charge so much per square foot, no matter the width of the flooring. Get references of the installers and call and go see the jobs to see if they meet your expectations. In the world of research, we are suppose to hire certified installers. Finding a flooring dealer that employees such experts is another challenge. If you do, then the price of installation is considerably more. There is a saying in the flooring industry, that nothing good is cheap, and nothing cheap is good.

I forgot to mention that if you are considering a laminate flooring product, go to www.azfred.com.

Last edited by twelvepole; 09-18-02 at 03:36 PM.
Old 09-19-02, 09:33 AM
ostuni
Visiting Guest
i recently did two rooms with harris tarkett vanguard and am very pleased with the floor, ease of install, etc... floating installs are the most idiot-friendly for diyer's who want to put down real wood.. (floating install just means that you do not nail or glue the boards DOWN onto the subfloor...)

harris tarkett has now discontinued the vanguard and replaced with "tap tight" flooring, which is essentially the same flooring with one significant exception: the boards are pre-glued! both tongue and groove have adhesive pre-applied at the factory, so i reckon you just tap them together and the friction activates the adhesive? great solution imho b/c applying the glue to the vanguard flooring i used was not great fun...

for sure certain flooring is designed to be installed in certain ways. not all flooring can "float"... make sure that whatever you get is designed for floating install - it should be easy to determine...

putting it over existing ceramic tile? ask some experts, but i THINK that ain't a great idea... you want a smooth, level subfloor... the ht vanguard i used could go on concrete (with the proper moisture barrier and underlay) as i did in the mb, or on the particle-type subfloor in my upstairs den, and it could go above, grade, or sub grade...

maybe go to the manufacturer web sites (bruce or ht or mannington, etc.) and email questions directly to them?

hth!

Old 09-19-02, 07:11 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pre-glued... Must be some friction going on there!

No, that's not how it works. Before the final placement of the plank, there is a special shaped sponge, that you dampen. It is like liking a stamp and then putting it together. They are trying to find ways for the locking mechanism, not to back out and open gaps.

Old 09-20-02, 07:42 PM
marcthornton
Visiting Guest
Alot to answer here. I'll do my best from my interpetations of the question.

First, T&G is different in that a floating floor has a "Lock" which basically means that when you snap the groove of twpo pieces together they will lay flush and not seperate. The glue down type tends not to have this "Lock" as the glue is what will keep it together. This will require more time, more tools, straps, etc...For a DIY job, Floating with a locking or glueless floor is painless. Much quicker and easier than the glue down.

As to the type.... I personally have had great exp. with Bruce as i have with many brands. Cheap is cheap. Go with the high end quality of any manufacturer and i think you will be happy.

The bruce traffic zone seems to wear well. Same goes with hardwood or engineered.

Good Luck.

Marc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: