Wood floors and a great dane?

Old 09-18-02, 10:45 AM
Noelle1000
Visiting Guest
Wood floors and a great dane?

Hi...My husband and I are going round and round about the type of floor to put in. He wants Laminate and I want wood. It will be the whole main floor of our house - living room, family room, and dining room. Tons of windows. Cathedral ceiling. I am NOT wild about the look of laminate. I dont like seeing the 'joints' of the laminate boards. I also dont like the 'tic tic tic' sound the dogs toenails make on it. My husband is worried about pet accidents and scratches on wood. I had a wood floor for thirteen years and my great danes only made a few very light surface scratches in the finish. I can live with that. We have three dogs now and two cats (dogs range from 7 lbs to 150 lbs) He is also worried about possible urine accidents soaking into the wood. When i originally had my wood floors refinished, they cut out some bad boards and replaced them. The cost was minimal. What advice can you give me to calm my husbands fears about putting in a real wood floor?

ps...he wants Corian and I want granite.... I guess I just like natural materials versus manmade.

Old 09-18-02, 03:12 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Natural materials in your home

There is nothing like Mother Nature. Her products are beautiful and will last a life time with proper care. A hardwood floor can last 200+ years as evidenced in historic homes. If you keep pets' nails trimmed and clean up pet messes immediately you should not have major catastrophes. If you are not a super housekeeper and dog groomer and plan on leaving pets alone in the house to have their own way while you are gone, then plastic laminate is an option. Once the finish is worn on plastic laminate, it will go to the dumpster, there is no option for refinishing.

Corian vs. granite. Granite is by far the better choice if it is in your budget. Go to www.corian.com and www.stonecare.com to learn about maintenance of these products.

Man has yet to come up with something that supercedes the beauty of Mother Nature's products.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: