hardwood water stains

Old 09-19-02, 06:02 PM
Mark Durkee
Visiting Guest
hardwood water stains

Can anyone give advice on removing water stains from an oak floor. The flooring was pre-finished and has about 15 coats of minwax on it over a 15 year period. The stains cover a small area and resulted from a leaking water pipe.

Last edited by Mark Durkee; 09-20-02 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-20-02, 07:53 PM
marcthornton
Visiting Guest
There are many simple resolutions but please tell me:

How deep are the stains ? How much work do you want to do ?

Marc

Old 09-21-02, 04:07 AM
Mark Durkee
Visiting Guest
I think the depth may very. Most of it has turned the floor white in that area. There is one spot where the stain is black but this is inside a closet. I am trying to do this without sanding the floor as I am afraid i will not be able to match the color. The stained area is in a hallway but this opens up into a largere room and i want the color to be consistant.

Old 09-21-02, 08:52 AM
marcthornton
Visiting Guest
Mark,

If the stain is just into the mini wax you can use a floor stripper to remove the wax. However if it is in the wood there is no choice but to sand it to a depth that the stain is removed.

I wish i had another answer for you but you can no UNSTAIN wood that has been stained without sanding or stripping.

If you sand it and restain with a wood finish i would believe that a close match would look better than a black stain.

Where it is white, that stain is probably just the wax. Strip the wax and see. Home depot or lowes sells a mild wax stripper.

Go very slowly with stripper as that you do not want it to eat into the wood.

If you can take a digital picture and post or e-mail me i can give you more detail as to what to do.

Good Luck !!!

Marc

Old 09-21-02, 04:00 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Water marks on waxed floor

Solvent paste wax for wood floors and fine steel wool will remove the white water marks in wax on wood floors.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: