Sanding between Poly applications

Old 09-21-02, 02:54 PM
maestrodave
Visiting Guest
Sanding between Poly applications

How important is it to sand between applications of polyurethane. Between having to rent the correct floor sander, and the drying time between each coat, that could add a decent amount of money, and more importantly time before I can get my floors done. Last coat of stain was just finished within the hour.

-david

Old 09-21-02, 03:54 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Finishing a wood floor

Read and follow finish manufacturer's instructions carefully. Typically, an abrasive nylon screen or fiber buffing pad (white or brown) is used on water based finishes.

Some manufacturers recommend buffing the rough raised grain after the first coat. Some recommend application of a second coat in 3-5 hours without buffing. Follow buffing directions and use fiber pads or screens. A third coat is generally recommended. Application of more than two coats in one day is generally not advised.

How To Refinish a Wood Floor & Procedures for Finishing. FinishingWoodFloors.com. NOFMA. Retrieved 21 September 2002. http://www.finishingwoodfloors.com/f...es/manual.html

Learn more about finishing wood floors at www.finishingwoodfloors.com

Old 09-21-02, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Twelvepole's reply related to waterbase polys.
Oil poly needs at least a day to dry and does need lightlty sanding between coats. This gives something for the next coat to bite(adhere)to.
Let the stain dry at least 24 hours also/

fred

Old 09-21-02, 04:19 PM
hokiecoyote
Visiting Guest
Minwax - New Product

Minwax has a new oil based superfast drying polyurethane made specifically for floors. No sanding is required between coats and you can easily do 3 coats in one day. For more info go to www.minwax.com.

Old 09-21-02, 06:35 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hokiecoyote,
I use Minwax products almost exclusively (except for Thompsons deck sealer), and I'll have to see/try it before I believe it.
So far, I've never seen an oilbase poly product that doesn't need a day to dry.
I'll check it out,

fred

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: