Pergo need to undercut hearth

Old 09-21-02, 05:13 PM
DAmbr
Visiting Guest
Pergo need to undercut hearth

I have a split stone hearth which has an irregular surface.
The installers do not have an undercut saw for masonry. They advised me to find a mason to do this cut. My other option is quarter round with putty. I feel it would look the best with that undercut. I cannot find a place that rents this saw. I cannot get a mason to return my call.
If I have to buy the saw, is this something that can be a DIY project. I have been told to stay away from Partner saws for DIY. I already signed the contract so it is up to me to get it done. I have done paneling and sheetrock installation but I am no expert with a saw. Any suggestions?

Old 09-21-02, 06:19 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
To keep your gap and avoid a buckle, I would suggest a color matched silicone caulk flushed out to allow for a little expansion. Expansion has a greater potential near a hot dry fireplace. The silicone caulk is available to match either the stone or the flooring. If neatly done, it will look fine. Color matched silicone caulk is available from Color-Rite and is widely distributed.

Old 09-22-02, 08:05 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Diamond blade in an angle grinder works good. Have someone with a spray bottle with water to keep the blade cool while cutting. Use damaged plank if there is one, to lay on the floor and run the grinder above it, to get the undercut the right height.

I have burned up too many Crain undercut saws trying to undercut stone hearths.

And end cap trim can be used also. Then fill the gaps that may be behind it with sanded caulk to match the mortar of the hearth.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: