New home hardwood floors uneven Help.

Old 09-21-02, 10:42 PM
jays12
Visiting Guest
New home hardwood floors uneven Help.

I'm in the process of closing a new home and just completed the pre-inspection with the builder. I selected hardwood floors for the dining and living room. During the inspection there were gaps between the shoe molding and the floor. The best way to describe it would be like waves or ripples spaced 6-8 inches apart in various locations. The bottom of the molding doesn't seem flat (ripples) and the floor seems to have slight depressions. Basically the builder said it was fixable, but I don't understand how. Can anyone tell me if the flooring has to be completely re-done to fix the uneveness? Or is the builder thinking of a less than perfect patch up? I tried attaching a picture but the file was too large. The main problems seems to be the edges where the floor meets the wall.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Jay

Old 09-22-02, 03:06 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Jay:

It sounds like the subfloor is irregular which is not uncommon. Generally, while placing base after hardwood flooring you will get the gapping you speak of and that's one reason for shoe molding. The more I think of it.....it appears the wood flooring is to blame as you may have sligjt over and "underwood." This too is very common with some of the "builders grade" hardwoods out there.

Old 09-22-02, 05:17 AM
Locy's Hardwood
Visiting Guest
Uneveness

Jay;

Ken is absolutely right about the uneveness issue that you have . If this is the case with the under and overwood it tells me that your builder did not sand the floor after he installed it to remove the iregularities of the wood. It saves the builder money by simply coating the floor and not having someone like me come in and sand it for him so his guys can coat it and have it look right.

Philly

Old 09-22-02, 06:53 AM
jays12
Visiting Guest
Does it have to be redone?

Thanks for response hardwood guy and philntoni, It's great having a forum like this. Do you guys think its repairable or does it need to be redone?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: