Faded wood floor

Old 09-23-02, 08:38 AM
jrutila
Visiting Guest
Faded wood floor

I recently removed an area rug from my kitchen floor near a door wall. I noticed that the finish near the doorwall had faded substantially compared to the rest of the room and the floor under the carpet. Is there any way to finish just one area of the floor to match or do I need to re-finish the entire floor?

Old 09-24-02, 10:55 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I don't think it's really faded. I had the same problem and I realized that it's just that the mat blocked sunlight which slowed the finish from yellowing (all finishes yellow to some extent).

I removed the mat for a few weeks and the color is almost the same now.

If any closets have wood flooring inside of them take a look if it's also lighter in color which would mean that it's lack of light, not bleaching.

Old 09-30-02, 11:52 AM
marcthornton
Visiting Guest
Alex is correct. You may want to wait several weeks to see how it fades....

If the flooring does not change to the desired outcome you are looking for the you MUST redo the whole floor...

Many years ago when i first started flooring i tried to blend floors, never did i get it right once.

Good luck.

Old 10-02-02, 04:08 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Faded wood floor

Removing rugs in the spring and sending them out for cleaning and moth proofing will leave your floors bare to achieve an even patina as the finish ages. Rugs can be replaced in the fall. Keeping sunny windows covered with shades or blinds will tend to minimize the effects of UVB rays on flooring and home furnishings.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: