Floating Floor--Sealer?

Old 09-24-02, 09:44 AM
CatDogKid
Visiting Guest
Question Floating Floor--Sealer?

I just installed a floating wood floor (glue together type) in my kitchen. There are some small areas where the boards didn't quite fit together all the way (fine at each end but thin gap in the middle). I was wondering if there is a sealer I can put over the whole floor so it won't get damaged. If not, do you have any suggestions on these small gaps?

Thanks in advance!!!

Old 09-24-02, 10:20 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I used a water based wood filler (Elmer's I think). I tried the better oil based putty but it didn't work as well and you have to clean the excess with solvent and was still difficult to clean.

Downside is that the Elmer product is too light in color.

There are products made specifically for wood floors and color matched to the wood species. Problem is the patches don't last long due to floor expansion/contraction.

Here is a product commonly used but I doubt it's any different than what you find in your local home center (except might be a better color match).

http://www.colorputty.com/

Old 09-24-02, 10:22 AM
A
I just did a search to find where to purchase the color putty and doityourself.com sells it!

http://doityourself.com/store/color_putty_vp.htm

Old 09-24-02, 10:52 AM
A
Just FYI, I noticed that they do not recommend using this product on wood floors....On the other hand is there any product that is recommended?

Also, it appears that this product remains somewhat soft so it may help with the expansion/contraction issue.

Old 09-30-02, 11:49 AM
marcthornton
Visiting Guest
Here is an old trick......

If the gaps are not large then do the following.....

Go by a pox of 128 color crayola crayons. Shave off pieces of the one that closely matches your floor or grooves, Melt and drip and presto.

This may sound ridiculous but it WORKS !!! I have done this to several clients floors that have aged grooves in hardwood. All have been satisfied with the outcome.

To cover your floor to protect it i would first check the warranty from the manufacture and make sure certain sealers will not void the warranty. If all is OK then go to a janitorial supply company and buy floor sealer (home depot and lowes carry it as well) apply lightly and evenly with a terry cloth rag. Several coats until you get the desired shine.

Best of luck !!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: