Baseboard Angles

Old 09-25-02, 10:34 AM
moechris
Visiting Guest
Question Baseboard Angles

Hi,

While installing basebord I have run into a problem with 45 degree inside corners and will appreciate any tips and pointers to help me overcome the challenge. The problem is that when I cut the two pieces of baseboard at 22 1/2 degrees they do not fit as the wall in the corner is kind of rounded (curved). Only way I can bring the two edges together is by having the baseboard seperated from the wall. For the baseboard to be flush with the wall, the 22 1/2 degree edges have to be seperated.

I hope someone here can understand my ramblings and help.

Thanks,

Moe

Old 09-25-02, 01:29 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Was there baseboard there before?

You may have to square up the wall with a scraper or chisel. It may be too much drywall compound in the corner.

Old 09-25-02, 03:17 PM
moechris
Visiting Guest
Yes, there was. A narrow inconspicuous, flexible, cheap looking one. It was stapled in and it bent. The baseboard I am putting in is 3 1/2" wide and 1/2" thick maple that does not want to bend and even if it could, I would not want to do it.

Old 09-25-02, 04:05 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
What can you do besides squareup the corner with a chisel?

It's probably too much drywall compound in the corner.

Old 09-25-02, 04:56 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
Cut your pieces to fit the anglr of the walls, they may not be a perfect 90°. Then trim the back side of the molding full height with a 45° across the "point". Plan on a fill, common even in new construction, with putty or caulk. If you will paint any acrylic caulk works just great. If you have a natural wood molding get a matching siliconized acrylic caulk that is color matched to your trim. Color-Rite and M. L. Kample are 2 brands that are available

Old 09-25-02, 09:50 PM
moechris
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thank you for the guidance. Moe

Old 09-30-02, 12:24 PM
marcthornton
Visiting Guest
If you have a rounded wall corner AZFRED has the best advice. There are several pre cut moulding peices out there for corners that look just as good. The Base fits into the grooves and you attach all to the wall.

Best of luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: