replacing subfloorin

Old 09-27-02, 08:38 AM
carpentergirl
Visiting Guest
replacing subfloorin

I need to replace some subflooring in my bathroom that's rotted. Can you tell me how to go about this? Should I be trying to do this myself or have a professional take care of it. Once the subflooring is fixed, I'll be putting in either linoleum or tile. Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-02, 11:49 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
We just put in hardwood floors. When we pulled up the old carpet, we found that the subfloor was particle board instead of plywood (which isn't appropriate under hardwood). We ripped out the old particle board, but we let the professionals install the new plywood subfloor.

My feeling is that the quality of the subfloor makes or breaks the entire project - whether it's wood, tile, or vinyl. I didn't want to risk messing up, even though Hubby and I are pretty handy. If there wasa problem down the road resulting from a subfloor defect, I didn't want the installer to be able to blame me for it!

Just my opinion, but I think you shuold let the pros do it - especially since it's a relatives small space, no doubt with lots of corners.

But be sure to determine the reason for the rot, and correct it before you put in your new floor!

Old 09-30-02, 12:42 PM
marcthornton
Visiting Guest
ANNKH has good point in regards to the quality of a sub floor. It is like the foundation to a house ....if it sucks so does the rest of it.

However for tile or vinyl i do believe you can lay your own subflloor. As an installer and if it were my call i would lay backer board instead of plywood. there are two main types i use.
One of them has a gypsum core that has been treated with silicone. This gypsum core is then surrounded by an inorganic glass mat. The mat, on one side is then surfaced with a co-polymer coating which is both water and vapor retardant. The other product is referred to as cementitious board.

Best of luck