wood floors

Old 09-27-02, 11:55 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question wood floors

I'm going crazy trying to decide what type of floor to install in my dining room. It's about 255 sq ft and I want to replace an old, worn out indoor/outdoor type of carpet with wood.

I really don't like the look of laminates and want real hardwood. I also intend to try to install it myself. I'm worried that my subfloor may not be level, or may have some bad spots, in a few places. I can feel a few spots that don't feel quite right under the carpet. I guess I won't know for sure until I pull up the carpet.

Also, I have a crawl space under this part of the house and at one end I believe that the space beneath the floor may be less than two feet. I'll have to do some measuring I guess. I understand some types of flooring require at least two feet of vertical space under the subfloor.

Is prefinished hardwood a viable option?

Any recommendations? I'm anxious to get started.

Thanks.

jdi

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-02, 05:41 PM
rvitek
Visiting Guest
I pondered as much and as long and as often as you did! Laminate or unfinished! Notice, I didn't ponder the pre-finished.

I have a few freinds who have the pre-finished and while they look very nice, I'm not fond of the ridges and uneven-ness of it. With the unfinished, you can sand (or have it sanded) until it's glass-like which is the option that I ended up going for. There's a couple of local companies around here that will do all the sanding/staining for about $1.50 - $2 /SF as long as you provide the materials. Given that, my choice was simple - unfinished oak!

I just prepped my hallway (removed carpet and the <B>10,000</B> carpet staples, sanded, sealed, and felted) and installed my first couple of rows. I like it, nice and easy!

Hope this helps!

Ry.

Old 09-29-02, 11:50 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks. This does help. I had a local flooring company come out and give me a quote but the total price for #1 common white oak, including labor and materials, was going to be around $6.00 a square foot. That's when I decided to do it myself, but if I can get someone to do it for $1.50 to $2.00 per sq foot (labor), I think that's the way to go.

My next question is, #1, #2, or cabin grade. If you don't miind my asking, which did you choose? I think that I will probably go with the #1. It's about $2.15 per sq. ft. for white oak.

Thanks again.

jdi
Gardendale, AL

Old 09-29-02, 01:04 PM
rvitek
Visiting Guest
I went with select grade (not sure what the # is) that cost me $48.50 / bundle (19.5 sf) at my local Home Depot. I checked around, and all the other companies were within a buck or two, but HD had the 0% financing deal.

Also, I may have mis-leaded you, the $1.50 ~ $2 / sf labor I told you about in my previous post was only for the sanding / finishing part, not the actual 'install the floor' part. Sorry about that! BUT, I'm on my second landing of the day and I can tell you that it's not that bad of a job if you have the tools / are able to rent them.

I'll post a bunch of pictures this evening to let you know how it's going.

Good luck, and go for it - you can do it!

Ry.