wet sub-florring

Old 09-30-02, 12:55 PM
David Amey
Visiting Guest
Unhappy buckled subflooring

Five years ago, I replaced my kitchen, laundry room, and pantry floors w/stick-on tiles. In the last six months, a couple of them have come off. Now, the sub-flooring somehow got wet and is buckling underneath the tiles. I am going to pull them all up and put down something. What do you reccomend? Do I sand down the buckles and then use some kind of liquid sealant. Should I do tiles again or indoor/outdoor carpeting?

Last edited by David Amey; 09-30-02 at 01:54 PM.
Old 10-01-02, 10:36 AM
ackcpa
Visiting Guest
From what I have heard, the best thing to use where the potential for moisture and water on a floor exists is cement backer board. I installed it in our kitchen where I installed ceramic tile. I can speak for its durability, because a week after having the floor installed, the refrigerator water line broke. The only water that soaked through the floor was where the molding had not been put. The cement backer board areas were fine, with no water seepage into the basement.

Old 10-02-02, 03:42 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Wet subflooring

You need to locate the source of the moisture problem and make necessary repairs. Liquid sealant will not solve moisture problems.

Yes, where moisture is a potential problem, concrete underlayment board and tile are highly recommended. If you are a DIYer, there are tile experts on the Ceramic Tile Forum to walk you through the project. Go to www.doityourself.com/ceramic for installation information. From the standpoints of aesthetics and practicality, indoor/outdoor carpet is not practical in kitchen, laundry, and pantry.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: