Border around entire room

Old 10-01-02, 09:07 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Border around entire room

Some points about borders that I'm not totally clear on:

1. As far as putting in a full room border of the same species but wider board is there any problem with regards to expansion? I assume this could either be face/tongue nailed or screwed/plugged. I don't see that the borders would resist expansion any more than normal cleated boards but I'm not sure.

2. As far as species, I would think that oak would show the border but maple would not be obvious due to it's subdued grain. I wouldn't think it would be worthwile to put in a maple border unless a darker strip was used between border and main floor.

3. With regards to a thin darker species to highlight the border, I believe T&G is available down to 1", correct? Would this normally be glued instead of nailing because of splitting?

Thanks

Old 10-02-02, 03:13 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Installing wood floors

Borders are typically of a different species or stain color than the center of the room. 3/4" solid hardwood is nailed down. If using planks 6" or wider, many recommend face nailing. Wood tends to expand and contract as temperature and humidity levels fluctuate in the home. Acclimation of wood to temperature and humidity of the home for several days is required before installation so the wood can adjust. Maintaining temperature and humidity at occupancy levels with HVAC system tends to minimize expansion/contraction problems.

As to what species or stains you choose, that is a matter of personal choice. Typically, a darker border tends to contrast nicely with a natural finish or lighter stain or paint.

The availability of 1" flooring may depend on where you live. There are custom mills that will mill the narrow strip flooring. Typically, strip flooring is 3/4" x 2 1/4".

Go to http://www.customwoodfloors.com/ for pictures and ideas.

Go to www.installingwoodfloors.com for installation instructions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: