Stain on Maple flooring?

Old 10-01-02, 11:04 AM
hare0020
Visiting Guest
Question Stain on Maple flooring?

I am new to hardwood flooring and have some basic questions. I recently installed a new 1st grade maple floor. I chose maple because it seemed to look very modern without a lot of knots in it. My question is this, has anyone had any luck with staining maple? My local wood flooring guys think I am nuts for not wanting to just leave it clear. I was recently at a new house built for the parade of homes, in it they had a deep red cherrywood looking finish that was GORGEOUS! I was told that it was a maple floor. After some snooping I discovered a can of Duraseal penetrating finish 243 sedona red. I am suspecting they used this on the floor. I bought a can to try out. Could they have done anything different to this to make it work better with maple? tricks? help? If need be I took pics of this floor.

Old 10-02-02, 03:02 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Staining maple flooring

Maple Flooring Often
Exhibits These Problem
Characteristics:

It tends to show sanding marks more than most other species of wood.
Low-sheen finishes sometimes appear streaky on maple floors.
It may absorb stain unevenly, resulting in blotchy appearance.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There Are Several
Options To Minimize
These Problems:
Install pre-finished maple flooring,
negating all three problems.
Use the utmost care in sanding, but be aware of oversandingor screening, which can close the grain andmake finish adhesion a problem. Some recommend sanding with no finer than a 100 grit paper and then hand sanding - not screening - to remove sanding marks.
The best solution for staining problems is to avoid staining maple. Inform the customer of the potential problem and try to persuade the customer that maple's natural beauty is one of it's most attractive qualities.
If you must stain maple, water popping the floor (popping the grain) or pre-treating it with a sealer or conditioner may help the stain absorb more evenly.
Always test new methods or stains on sample panels first. Then show the results to the customer before proceeding with the job.

Installation. Keys To Successfully Installing Maple Flooring. Next Generation Hardwood Floors. Retrieved 02 October 2002. http://www.nxtgeneration.com/Installation/

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: