new flooring or refinish?

Old 10-02-02, 05:37 PM
miseeire
Visiting Guest
new flooring or refinish?

Hi,
I have a 75 year old house and the wood floors are awful - many levels of old discolored varnish and some areas with no varnish at all (where a wall was taken out). Am trying to decided the most efficient and practical way to fix this - any recommendations about what would be least costly? Refinishing or new flooring? I need to do around 420 square feet. Thanks so much!

Old 10-03-02, 06:01 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Refinish or Replace Wood Floor

If the wood is in good condition, refinishing would be the better option. Installing new 3/4" wood over old will raise your floor by 3/4". The effects of the increased height will have to be taken into consideration.

Old 10-03-02, 08:34 PM
Suppo
Visiting Guest
Refinishing yourself is much less expensive and will restore the charm of the house.

If the varnish is thick, you may need to use a drum sander with 60-80 grit pads first (lots of them) to get most of the junk off before you get to the wood for which you should use a fine sanding grit.

Your wood flooring may need some repair and securing of loose boards before you refinish it. You won't regret putting the time into it.

Old 10-03-02, 09:03 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Finishing wood floors

If you are a DIYer, you will find helpful info at www.finishingwoodfloors.com.

Old 10-04-02, 04:53 PM
miseeire
Visiting Guest
Thank you for info re: refinish vs new flooring

I want to say thank you to everyone for your advice and helpful hints and links.
-Mary

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: