Putting in a feature strip

Old 10-02-02, 06:58 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Putting in a feature strip

I'm considering putting in a floor with a feature strip(s) around the whole room. I found an article on how to do this but there are some things I'm still unsure of.

Of course to put in a feature strip around the perimeter of the room you need to also install a full room border. Would the corners of this border normally be mitered or installed in a herringbone fashion? The strength of a miter joint concerns me although I suppose you could put in a biscuit.

In the article they installed the feature strip before any other flooring. Seems that you want to install the border first. That way there would be less measuring/fitting etc. of strips that go between the feature strip and walls.

Also, it seems that you might want to leave the side that you are working towards open so you can adjust it slightly to avoid an odd sized strip (in other words complete 3 sides of the border/feature strip first, then complete it when the last interior strip is placed).

Of course I realize that this is a lot more work than a floor without a border/feature strip. Things that have to done:

1. Border has to have perfect 90 degree corners.
2. Strips parallel to the feature strip should be ripped so the seam on the other side of the feature strip is matched (ie all seams in floor are lined up).
3. Strips have to be cut very accurately and many grooves have to be routed and splines installed.

Miss any major points?

Old 10-03-02, 05:56 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Installing a border

How should I install a floor with a decorative border?

As more builders and decorators use oak flooring in fine homes, we have noticed a dramatic increase of interest in these kinds of custom designed floors. A border is not hard to install, if you do it right!
Pre-planning is essential in good border installation. Pre-measuring room, checking for squareness and dry-laying border sections are advised.

The step-by-step guide shown below gives some outline instructions. Also, we discuss border installation at both our spring and fall installation schools.

Installing a Border
1. Select your design and decide how far it will extend from the wall. Remember to allow for expansion.
2. Lay the field, that is the center area, either from one side to the other or from the center-line toward opposite walls.

3. The field boards can end on full board widths if installed from the center out and the border width adjusted by ripping the final wall strip.

It may be necessary to rip the last field board if installing field from one side to the next, to insure a balanced border.

Cut ends and edge of field (if necessary) equal-distance from wall lines. Where all cuts were made, use a slotting cutter and router to re-groove flooring and install slip-tongue.

4. Blind nail first border run flush to field, starting at corners and working toward center of run. Precision cut last center board of each run on tongue end and fit. Proceed with subsequent border runs in similar manner. (Use slotting cutter to groove ends for slip-tongue if corners of border are mitered. This is not necessary with "log cabin" corners.) It will be necessary to face nail last 2 or 3 border runs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Frequently Asked Questions Concerning Hardwood Flooring. NOFMA. Retrieved 03 October 2002. http://www.nofma.org/faq.htm#installationq3

For installation tips go to www.installingwoodfloors.com.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: