Using Plywood As Finished Floor

Old 10-03-02, 01:54 PM
IDIDITMYSELF
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Using Plywood As Finished Floor

OK ... This may seem weird but I have been testing on 1/4 " 2'x2' pieces of birch and oak plywood to see how well it would look as a finished floor. To my surprise, it looks darn good. I stained and polyed. The possibilities are infinite. I also used a faux finish to simulate 3 or 5 inch planks. Plywood is cheaper and sturdier than the laminate tongue and groove flooring and it doesn't have a cardboard backing like most of the laminates do. Think about it.
Any input??

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-02, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
For others interested there is a discussion that never ends on using plywood as a finished floor at this link.....

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...917768.html?71

Old 12-26-02, 01:48 PM
du_it_yrslfr
Visiting Guest
Hi IDIDITMYSELF. I'm really interested in this, but I haven't been able to get any further input. Can you give me some more info on how you installed your plywood flooring. Was it tongue-and-groove. Did you nail it down, lay it as a floating floor. I'd love some more info.

Thanks.

Old 01-02-03, 02:17 PM
IDIDITMYSELF
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb USING PLYWOOD

Ok, I did not use tongue and groove. I used Oak and I just lined the planks together and then used liquid nails, or you can use an equivalent, to glue it to the concrete. Before you do anything you need to prep the concrete against moisture by using DRYLOC. It comes in a can, like paint, and you need to apply it with a good brush. Then all you have to do is stain and then put on 5 or 6 good coats of poly, while sanding in between coats of course. Good Luck. Hey ... you can even create a 1 or 2 foot border around the whole room by simply placing the border planks with the grain going the opposite way of the internal planks or even using a different type of plywood and then staining the border a different shade. Your options are endless.

Old 01-03-03, 12:36 PM
kodijack
Visiting Guest
Question I am a litte lost

Even after you put down the sealant don't t you still run the risk of dampness getting in, or the concrete floor shifting, and your floor either buckles or breaks? One of the great things about tongue and groove laminate floors is that they move as the walls move and so that floor does not crack. Please explain to me where I am missing something.

Thank you,

Dale

Old 01-03-03, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You guys need to read the other post here:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=116014

When it comes time to refinish your floor, how much will you be able to sand on your furniture grade plywood??

fred