Pergo & Subfloor

Old 10-06-02, 12:57 PM
robhsarch
Visiting Guest
Pergo & Subfloor

I have a ¾” tongue and groove, pine hardwood floor that is pretty old and not very level between planks. I am thinking about putting down a 1/4" plywood subfloor over the existing hardwood floor to level it out before laying down the Pergo system. Is this the right approach? During my research I wasn’t able to find this method on any websites.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 10-06-02, 05:55 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That will work. As long as your subfloor is flat, and your going to do that with the 1/4" plywood. Then the Laminate flooring will be installed to specification.

Old 10-09-02, 06:11 AM
robhsarch
Visiting Guest
Perry,

Thanks for your reply, but I did have one more question. I want to use the Pergo Presto Beeched Plank glueless system over the 3/4" tongue and groove floor as discussed in my first reply.

Another concern is that the joints between planks might open and close as I walk on the floor leaving it susceptible to dirt. I am wondering if the 1/4" plywood would prevent this from happening or should I try using 3/8" or 5/8" plywood? I know that the joint separation is normal due to expansion, and that the lighter planks accentuate the darker backing.

Take care,
Rob

Old 10-09-02, 06:28 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Any movement in the floating floor system, either from walking on it or from expansion/contraction tends not to be affected by the thickness of the plywood. Read and following manufacturer's instructions carefully regarding subfloor requirements, acclimation to jobsite, and installation to maintain warranty. Each manufacturer tends to have its own specific instructions. Gko to www.pergo.com.

Old 10-09-02, 09:59 PM
AzFred
Visiting Guest
The fact that you plan on using Pergo with the Uniclic assembly is not a negative. You should be fine

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: