Installing a hardwood floor

Old 10-06-02, 01:06 PM
David Rumbles
Visiting Guest
Installing a hardwood floor

Hi,

Im new here...My house is built on a slab. I would like to put a hardwood floor in the living room, here is my method...Vapour barrier over the concrete floor. Over the vapour barrier I want to fit one of these new type of subfloor systems, they come in 2 ft by 2 ft panels and are simply fitted together and layed over the vapour barrier...and of course, over the subfloor goes
the hardwood which will be glued down...
my slab is level etc, it seems like a good way to tackle this job...and suggestions/comments will be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance...Dave.

Old 10-06-02, 06:03 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
The new 2x2 subfloorpanels are fairly new. I would staple or nail it down before I glued it to them.

Why not just glue it to the concrete floor? As most gluedown installations are just for this purpose?

Old 10-07-02, 11:10 AM
David Rumbles
Visiting Guest
If I glued the Hardwood flooring straight onto the concrete floor, wouldn't that cause a problem with moisture seeping from the concrete...I beleive concrete slabs have a certain amount of moisture in them, or so Im told ??

Old 10-07-02, 05:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
That is what the polyurethane adhesive is for. It acts as a moisture barrier. Have you ever seen moisture penetrate polyurethane?

The only reason there is polyurethane wood flooring adhesives is because of concrete installations. Before prefinished engineered hardwoods came out, you had to install plywood and nail the finished flooring to it. Thats why most old concrete foundation homes had VAT tile throughout.

Old 10-07-02, 08:15 PM
David Rumbles
Visiting Guest
Thanks for your advice Perry, it is most appreciated...please understand that I am a novice at this, I just want to make sure that I do a good job

Old 10-07-02, 08:31 PM
David Rumbles
Visiting Guest
Ps: I think I would go with the 2x2 subfloor panels due to the harsh winters that we have up here...I hope it will give us a little more insulation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: