Old 10-16-02, 09:08 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Hi all. I have a 1730 house, so saying the floors have settled a bit, is putting it mildly. My kitchen is a big colonial with a vinyl floor, however, it's ripped in a few areas and I hate the color. Do you think the laminate flooring would work in this case? Can I put a floating floor in on a floor that's slanted? I'm looking at a product by Formica called fastlock. any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-02, 08:51 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Sounds like the only solution as you floor sits is another layer of Vinyl. You cannot lay a laminate floor if the difference in floor levels is more than 1/4 inch or so on a 12 ft length.(not sure of the exact number here, maybe an installer will respond as well) From your description, assuming a hard surface, existing vinyl not spongy, you will at the least need to fill in the old pattern with a leveler made for this purpose. $20 or so a quart. You could then lay a new vinyl. This would be the least expensive, and safest route short of replacing the subfloor, using floor leveler to even out the floor etc. If you consider the cheapest option of vinyl, the existing vinyl must be hard, well secured to the floor, and the old pattern filled in before you install the new vinyl. The old pattern of the existing vinyl will transfer through to the new vinyl if you do not fill it in first. Armstrong markets a self installation vinyl kit, that guarantees you success or they will pay for your mistakes, cheap kit $9.99 This quite honestly sounds like a job for a pro unless you are a very adept handywoman!
At the least have a certified installer inspect your floor, this will tell you the tale bad or good. You may be able to install the laminate you are considering, but there is no way to tell without seeing it, and that of course is not possible. Take care Tom
Old 10-23-02, 04:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
If the sub floor surface is not flat, F-L-A-T not necessarily level, within 1/8" in 8 feet, you have a definet problem. The solution to the problem is to resurface with plywood or float self leveling concrete (SLC) to obtain the necessary flatness. To check the flatness, use a chalk line (heavy string) and run it across the corners at floor level of the room both ways, measure from the floor to the string. Then do the same thing at the center of the room both ways. If and measurement is more than 1/8", the error will have to be mitigated. We can offer further guidence if you provide specific info.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: