Inlaid Hardwood Flooring

Old 10-21-02, 04:13 PM
cfrlaw
Visiting Guest
Inlaid Hardwood Flooring

Help!

The good news is that I purchased a 6500 square foot home which was built by an "old world" lumberman in the 1920's with subsequent owners who either cared for or covered the floors with carpets. Over the years, however, the floors have dulled and become dirty and scuffed. In rooms where there was carpet, the rooms are boarded with carpet tack strips used to hold the carpets in place and/or have flaked and dried matting from the carpets.

I want to restore the wood floors in the house. The problem is that the floors are made of several different types of wood (thanks to the original owner) in different colors and with intricate inlay work. I am afraid that if I sand some of these floors, the color differences from the design will be lost. How would I tell if the color is unique to the wood or merely a stain? How would I maintain the different colors if I clean and sand these floors? Do you stain each plank (or the design) separately? For example, I have a "greek key" design bordering one room along all four walls. The key design is in a gold toned color, but the floor is a dark mahogany. In another room, there are wide (5" or so) wood planks in a light walnut colored wood with "bow tie" joists at the end of each plank where the planks join together in a red-stained wood. The planks look like joined picket fence posts separated by bow ties:
(Where the "X" is created, there is the reddish colored wood.)

How do I approach refinishing these floors? Do I even attempt it? I respect the history of the home too much to ruin it, but I'd love to bring these floors back to their original luster.

Thanks for your insights!

Old 10-23-02, 12:49 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cfr:

This surely sounds like a job for a professional if you want it restored proper. Chances are great there is no staining and you have several species of wood. I have some calls in to finishers in the Michigan area. It may take time to get this one scheduled as the better finishers are booked far in advance. If you're interested drop me a line with your location and contact number.

Ken Fisher
floridawoodfloors.net

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: