What to put over subfloor?

Old 10-28-02, 11:49 AM
Looneyfarm
Visiting Guest
Question What to put over subfloor?

We had a new addition put on and I'm finishing it myself. Right now there is just the OSB subfloor. The finished floor will have vinyl put down. Do I put down a layer of felt and cover it with another layer of osb, then the vinyl? Do I need to put luaun board too? I have 1 1/2 inches between the subfloor and bottom of drywall. I've never done this before, help!

Looneyfarm

Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-02, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Your about to have a mess! You need to call a pro before it is too late.

OSB, or I call it Beaver barf, is cheap junk! Vinyl needs a good hardboard underlayment, not luan either.
http://www.sureply.com/
http://www.tecply.com/

Old 11-03-02, 01:46 AM
Zyloth
Visiting Guest
WOW!!! 1 1/2" between floor and drywall!! I would fill that gap with something (drywall or wood) so you will have some support for the bottom of your baseboard.

Buy good quality plywood smooth on one side. Screw down over the OSB gluing the edges to help prevent movement between pieces. Fill any gaps between pieces with a recommended floor patch. Then install.

If this is a big room that is going to require seams in the vinyl, I would suggest hiring an installer or install a vinyl tile product.

Good Luck!!!!

Old 11-03-02, 06:18 AM
Looneyfarm
Visiting Guest
Thanks! It is a big room, 650 sq ft, there will be one seam right down the middle. I'm putting the vinyl that "looks" like hardwood but ain't. (Easy to line up seams, too!) I put it in my dining room 4 years ago and I love it, stands up to the abuse of 3 large dogs and doesn't show every speck of dirt! I've had a bit of experience laying vinyl, I've done my kitchen, dining room and mud room and it came out pretty durn good (and I learned from the few minor mistakes) Making sure that seam is right will be more painstaking than usual though! I'm not worried about the gap between the subfloor and drywall, God knows I have plenty of scrap to use for backing for the baseboard if necessary! Thanks!

Looneytune

Old 11-03-02, 08:23 AM
cfrlaw
Visiting Guest
What kind of vinyl?

What kind of vinyl are you using that looks like wood floor but it isn't and stands up to three big dogs? Just curious...

Old 11-04-02, 08:59 AM
Looneyfarm
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

It's made by Armstrong, but i can't remember exactly what it's called. I've gotten a lot of compliments on my nice hardwood floor that's NOT! LOL

Looneytune

Old 11-04-02, 02:54 PM
cfrlaw
Visiting Guest
It Might be...

...Armstrong's Hartco Flooring product...maybe not...but they make a product called Hartco, I think...