Replacing floors in a mobile home/trailer

Old 10-28-02, 07:14 PM
ckitty76
Visiting Guest
Lightbulb Replacing floors in a mobile home/trailer

I am trying to find out how to replace floors in 3 rooms in our house that seem to be caving in. Two bedrooms and a bathroom. I have no idea about what to do....My sons birthday party is next month and I would like to fix it before then, Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-02, 04:10 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Replacing floors in mobile home

Perhaps the deterioration of the subfloor has been caused by a plumbing leak from the bathroom? The source of the leak should be located and repairs made. Floor covering and subfloor will have to be be removed, inspection made for damage and repairs made.

Meadowraven is our inhouse expert on mobile homes. I am sure she can provide you with detailed advice on the Mobile Home Forum.

Old 11-03-02, 01:28 AM
Zyloth
Visiting Guest
Some mobile homes were made with 5/8" particle board. Over time, wear and heat will cause the floor to cave. I have replace many mobile floor and sorry to say, hated every one!!! Ok maybe not every one but when you had to replace in kitchens, baths or next to walls, ahhhhhh!!!!!

Here is the process we used:

1.) Determine the direction of you floor joists (look under the mobile.)

2.) Pray you don't have to replace next to a wall. Walls can be set on the floor between joists which are a bear to support.

3. Mark floor where you are going to cut keeping cuts as straight and square as possible. Cuts going the length of the joists need to be exactly down the middle leaving half the joist to support the remaining floor. Punch holes in floor to determine 1. whats under there such as wiring, plumbing, ductwork and 2. mark exactly where the joists are. Do not assume the joists run straight or continuous. Make as many holes neccessary to ensure you do not cut past a joist leaving no support for the remaining floor.

4.) Cut floor out down the middle of joist. Make sure you set the depth of your saw to the thickness of the floor.

5.) Most mobile manufacturers glue and staple the floor down so once you pull up the bad floor you will need to scrape the joists clean.

5.) Run new 2x4s across joists for support. Position the end 2x4s halfway under remaining floor so it half supports old floor and half new floor. I always placed supports every two feet.

6.) Cut new pieces to fit. Glue and screw down to joists. Make sure you screw down edge of remaining subfloor also.

7.) Reinstall carpet

Just take it slow and be carefull!!!!

Good Luck!!!!!