The Unthinkable: wax on urethane

Old 10-29-02, 12:58 PM
ZeroDfx
Visiting Guest
The Unthinkable: wax on urethane

Not knowing any better, I managed to do the unthinkable: a couple weeks ago and I coated my urethane finished wood floors with a coat of Johnson's Liquid Floor Wax. It looked terriffic for a week then began to fade. I started doing some reading and discovered the blunder I had made.

So what are my options at this point re removing the wax and restoring the original finish? OR do I have to have the whole floor refinished (screened/sanded, and new urethane applied)?

TIA,
Nick

Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-02, 06:47 PM
Never wax a polyurethane floor

Never use wax, oil soaps, or other coatings on your polyurethane floor!!

Since coating the floor with polyurethane occasionally is expected, you must always be careful never to apply anything that will interfere with a future touchup of the finish. Never use wax, oil soap or acrylic floor dressings, such as Mop & Glow, on your polyurethane finished wood floor. Just vacuum your wood floor often, wipe up spills as they happen and occasionally damp mop with water. Or better yet, use a formulated hardwood floor cleaner with a special hardwood floor mop to minimize the amount of water that the wood floor is subjected to.

A common reason that a flooring contractor won't coat a used wood floor with an additional coat of polyurethane is that very often the floor-owner can't guarantee that the floor has never been treated with something that will inhibit a new coat of polyurethane from adhering to the existing finish.

MAINTAINING AND RECOATING POLYURETHANED FLOORS
HandyMan
Retrieved 29 October 2002
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...refinpoly.shtm

The only way to successfully remove all wax is to sand the floors to restore the finish. Polyurethane will not adhere to wax.

Old 10-30-02, 08:14 AM
ZeroDfx
Visiting Guest
Only One Real Option?

So just to confirm:
It sounds as though there is no intermediate remedy to strip the wax and buff it out; only real option is refinishing the floor?
Am I understanding this correctly?
Nick

Old 10-30-02, 02:29 PM
ZeroDfx,
Yes, there is an option.
Just find a wax stripper, and you should be back to normal.
Once stripped and cleaned off, you can''t however make it shinier than it was. You don't want to buff it at all. If it's a satin or low gloss sheen, the only way to make it shinier is with a coat or two of high gloss poly.

Now, the real reason for not waxing poly is called SILICONE. It is included in so many products, the rule of thumb is DON'T WAX poly. Silione is the wood finisher's nightmare.

fred

Old 10-30-02, 05:00 PM
ZeroDfx
Visiting Guest
Happy to Strip

Thanks for your input. If I can get it back to the way it was (satin semi-gloss type finish), that would be fine w/ me.
Nick

Old 11-01-02, 04:43 AM
Question

Say, Fenwalt - Would there be a problem if one waxed a urethane finished floor with a silicone-free paste wax?

Old 11-01-02, 05:27 AM
Thiggy,

In twelvepoles reponse, you'll note that poly will not adhere to wax. It's best not to use a wax on poly floors.
I build some furniture and have waxed poly - but I know how to fix any problems if I were to refinish.

You won't gain much, your poly floors ar already shiney if the floor is gloss poly. When they get to the point of dullness due to age and multiple minute scratches, it may be time to refinish. Sooooo, wax may repel the new coat of poly in a refinish job.
fred

Old 12-10-11, 01:52 PM
Committed

There's some good and some, not as good to this question. The good is that waxing a poly floor is not a big deal, other than that it will make it very slippery. The not as good is, that now you are committed to waxing your floor. No turning back now, unless you spend the $$$$ to have it refinished down to bare wood. Just buy some paste wax and apply it as directed, then maintain the high traffic areas and polish it a few times a year. Its a pain but it will look great!

Old 12-10-11, 03:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Tresdog, welcome to the forums! You are responding to an 9 year old post. Hopefully they got their problem solved by now.