Shoe Molding and Polyurethane

Old 11-03-02, 06:15 AM
morning glory 2
Visiting Guest
Question Shoe Molding and Polyurethane

Thanks for all the earlier advice. Now all the 3/4 inch shoe mold has the nails removed and the holes are filled with stainable filler. There is a layer of varnish that we now have to deal with. Can't imagine sanding it by hand. Plan to buy a Mouse Sander by Black & Decker unless someone has a better idea.

What concerns me now is my son-in-law just told me that I had to get the shoe mold down before the floor refinishers put down the last coat of polyurethane, that the shoe mold is an integral part of the oak flooring. No way! This will take us a few weeks to do at the least and the last coat of poly will most likely go on this coming Friday. I do plan to put polyurethane on the quarter round after I stain it before we re-install. (The shoe mold in our present home is not polyurethaned to the oak flooring.)

Should I get the floor people to come back and run a line of poly at the edge of the shoe mold and floor to seal it? Should I try to do that? Also, should I squirt some of that foam I see in home improvement stores between the baseboard and the oak flooring to make a better seal before we nail in the shoe moldd? Sorry, lots of questions. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-02, 09:39 AM
alizona
Visiting Guest
Shoe mold sits on top of final coat of finish. Otherwise you will see a lap mark when the floor shrinks and moves as they always do. Did you take the shoe mold off after the floor was finished. I would suggest new shoe molding instead of all that work and expense. The mouse sanders aren't that aggresive. A good palm sander would be better on shoe mold. If no finish under shoe mold than buy a slightly larger quarter round to reinstall.

Old 11-03-02, 11:00 AM
morning glory 2
Visiting Guest
Took the shoe mold off before floors were refinished. Should have no problem with reattaching. Good advice on the palm sander - will buy one this week. Do want to use the same shoe mold, like the idea of all this molding being cut to fit already. After all, we are novices at all this. Thanks for your reply Alizona.